If you hold a valid, unrevoked certificate/license from a state considered substantially equivalent
to Illinois, you have the option of applying directly to the Department of Financial
and Professional Regulation for a CPA Registration or License to Practice Public Accounting.
You do not need to first obtain certification from the Illinois Board of Examiners.
If your current CPA certificate/license was issued by a state NOT deemed substantially
equivalent to Illinois, additional requirements must be met in order to obtain Illinois certification. In most instances, you will not be able to obtain a CPA Registration or License directly from the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, but will first need to obtain Illinois certification from the Illinois Board of Examiners.
You can apply for certification based on experience if you hold a valid, unexpired CPA certificate/license in a state NOT substantially equivalent to Illinois and have five years of public accounting experience in the last ten years.
You can apply for certification based on education if you hold a valid, unexpired CPA certificate/license in a state NOT substantially equivalent to Illinois and while not having sufficient work experience you wish to be considered based on education.
Please contact the Illinois Board of Examiners at 217-531-0950 to discuss your application options.
To apply for certification through reciprocity complete these steps:
- Go to the online system and create an account unless you have previously submitted an application or other documentation to the Illinois Board of Examiners as an online account has already been established for you. Contact the Illinois Board of Examiners to obtain your account information.
- Complete the online application. Choose the application which applies to your situation – Substantial Equivalency, Experience or Education. Pay the fee online via a credit card. The reciprocal fee is $345.00. If you are applying based on education and you have foreign credentials for evaluation add $250.00.
- Complete the Reciprocal Certification/Exam Verification form and send it to the Board of Accountancy in the state in which you hold a valid unrevoked certificate/license.
- If you are applying for certification via an Education application be sure to have official transcripts from each educational institution attended sent to the Illinois Board of Examiners.
- If you are applying for certification via an Experience application complete your portion of the Work Experience Verification form and have your employer complete their portion. Your employer should send the completed form to the Illinois Board of Examiners.
Once the Illinois Board of Examiners has received your online application, the completed Reciprocal Certification/Exam Verification form from the Board of Accountancy, and any other applicable documents your application will be evaluated. When the evaluation is complete you will receive a letter indicating whether you have been approved.