If my documents are not in English can I provide the translation myself?

No, documents issued in languages other than English, must be accompanied by a certified word-for-word translation into English. In order to qualify as certified, translations must be provided by the issuing educational institution, showing official letterhead, stamps, seals, signatures, etc. or they can be provided by a professional agency. A translation performed by a member of American Translators Association (ATA) is acceptable. An acceptable one for Canada is Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO).

©2010 Illinois Board of Examiners. All Rights Reserved.